Wednesday, May 5, 2010

making progress





Well, my little garden is actually coming along quite well, as far as I can tell that is. Most of the tomato plants survived being separated and are getting a lot bigger. The pumpkins, watermelons, and green beans have all sprouted quite quickly and are looking good. I will definitely have to part with a few of the watermelon and pumpkin plants since they are growing like weeds and are going to take up more space than I anticipated. oops! I made a small discovery the other day, though. I was worried about the incident with my dog getting into the garden. I thought maybe she spread around some of the seeds, and possibly everything was growing everywhere. It turns out everything is in place, all of the vegetables are much easier to identify at this point. The leaves of the cilantro just formed and are very recognizable. Whew! For a while there I couldn't tell what were weeds and what wasn't.
Speaking of weeds, I have been weeding the garden about once a week and turning up the soil around the plants with my hand rake. I have also been watering every evening and occasionally in the morning if time permits before I leave for work. It's so nice to see all of the plants growing more each day, and to think that just a few weeks ago they were nothing but seeds!

pictured from top to bottom: watermelon, beans, pumpkins, sunflowers

No comments:

Post a Comment