Wednesday, April 21, 2010

a little help from a book

Today I picked up a gardening book while I was out. I figured I would check on the things I've done so far and help myself out for the future.

Mistakes made so far:

1. the garden top soil could have been tilled in with the regular soil to make the texture more fine and smooth
2. carrots and garlic are cool crops that grow better in the winter and fall (so I may not see anything from them)
3. I may have planted a little too deep. (Its only recommended to plant 1 inch or less below the surface but I put my seeds down a little deeper just in case...oops!)

I probably should have picked up a book earlier or checked out more tips online, but I didn't so I will have to work with what I have at this point. I plan on getting a couple more bags of soil to spread over the rest of the garden, and raking it to mix it in with the native soil. Then finish planting the rest of the watermelon and pumpkin seeds, and also separating and spreading out the tomato plants and anything else that starts growing in bunches. I'm also going to pick up some liquid plant food to spray on them and help them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment