Thursday, March 10, 2011

Saving Seed



dried cilantro seeds and stems

Last year I planted Cilantro in my summer garden. Then this year when I planted it inside as a part of my herb garden I didn't need to buy more seeds at the store for it because I was already prepared.  When my bush of cilantro stopped growing last season it "turned to seed" as it is called.  That's when it stops producing edible leaves and makes small little balls on its stems for reproduction of the plant.  When it did this I gathered all of the stems and seeds and dried them and saved them for the next use.  You can do this with many plants and vegetables from you garden so you have the seeds on hand next time you plant. For more information on seed saving visit
http://www.virtualseeds.com/seedsaving.html

No comments:

Post a Comment